Tuesday, October 03, 2006

My Life as a 3D Artist



My life up until now has been taken up with paper and rubber cement. I have been doing nothing for my 3D class except make paper blocks and tape them together.

For my first two assignments, these blocks have been my media. The first assignment was based strictly on pattern, meaning I could combine the pieces in away way that I wanted as long as the piece had a pattern. My second assignment with these blocks was a gestural piece, meaning that I had to abandon the notion of pattern and create a piece that was built to rest on the table top in a certain way and that it had to form a complete gesture in space.

Now, the block that I've shown is a pyramid, but I had other blocks to play with: my pattern piece was made of pyramids and tetrahedrons (pyramids with triangular bases instead of square bases). And for my gesture piece, I used pyramids, tetrahedrons, modified cubes, and wedges. Good times, long process.

This week, we're starting something new. I just turned in my gesture piece today, and so we're moving on to another assignment: this one dealing with plane instead of volume. We're going to cut foam core into rectangles and square and combine them gesturally. They must be made to sit on the table in a specific way and they must be hot-glued plane to edge.

More on that as it develops :)

No comments: