Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Cappy Counard


Today, I met my advisor for the first time. We've exchanged emails and talked over the phone, but this was the first time that I've met her face to face. And you know, she looked exactly the way I pictured her... is that funny or what. Oh, except, I pictured her as a brunette, and she was actually a blond, but other than that, she was as I imagined her: slightly taller than me, petite, shoulder length hair, glasses.

BUT, I was most fascinated by the fact that her art work is so totally different from the jewelry that she wears. I was stunned by this because that fact seemed so foreign to me. I envision myself making jewelry that is utterly me, as I am (small and gentle:) and that I want to wear just as much as my customers... but with Cappy, most of her art work is as above: bold, geometric, imposing but soft at the same time. I'm not sure that I like what she makes, only because her aesthetic is so very different from mine. Yet I respect everything she makes and I can't wait to learn from her. BUT, back to the point, the jewelry that she wears is small and precious looking, like today, she was wearing a silver chain with a tiny charm. And her art is so other worldly compared to the jewelry she wears.

So, even though I could picture what she looked like, I could never have pictured her art by looking at her.

If you would like to see more examples of her work, she has her own website: www.cappycounard.com

No comments: